How to Apply
The application process
A step-by-step guide
Moving into your new home is only a few simple steps away! If you have any questions about the application process along the way, please contact us.
Click below to download a Printable Application
The Housing Authority provides affordable housing for persons who are:
- Senior citizens
- Living with a disability
- Families with children
- And have a gross annual income below the HUD established limits for River Falls.
- Households with family members who have been convicted of criminal activity are not eligible for housing.
You may receive and complete an application in one of the following ways:
- In-person: pick up an application at 625 N. Main Street
- By phone: contact 715-425-7640 to have an application mailed to you
- Online: for a printable application CLICK HERE
All applications must be signed and returned to the office with:
- A legible copy of a current driver’s license or photo ID for all adults in the household
- A copy of every household member’s social security card.
A background check is completed on every adult household member to determine eligibility. Applications from eligible households will be placed on the waiting list as of the date and time the completed application is received. The length of the waiting list varies building-by-building. The Housing Authority will determine the number of bedrooms for which the household is eligible. Applicants will be notified by mail of the estimated length of the wait for the building(s) they’ve selected. Applicants are responsible for notifying the Housing Authority of any changes in mailing address or family composition during the wait.
Applicants will be notified by mail to contact the Housing Authority to schedule an interview when their name nears the top of the list. During the interview, all information needed to determine rent and eligibility will be discussed. Applicant will be asked about income, assets, medical expenses, childcare expenses and rental references. Come to the interview prepared; bring any of the following information that applies:
- A copy of your most recent Social Security award letter
- Full contact information of employer or other income sources including pensions and IRAs
- Addresses of all assets including stock, bonds, mutual funds or other investments
- Contact information for all previous landlords
- Senior citizens or disabled persons should bring addresses of any ongoing medical expenses including medical insurance
- Family applicants should bring addresses of child care providers
Viewing the apartment
If available, the Housing Authority will show a vacant unit to applicants.